Jan 27, 2010

Overview: Blackberry Stratus (9100)

BlackBerry_Pearl_9100_front
Source: salomondrin
It’s finally here! I had a chance to play with my new Blackberry Stratus (9100) AKA Striker AKA Pearl 2 and I have to tell you that is fantastic. It might be a little too tiny, but the phone is very (and when I say very I really mean it) pretty, slick, sexy, and it says “Business” all over it.




The overall feel of the phone in your hand is almost the same as holding an iPod Nano. I just can’t imagine of a better Blackberry to put in your pocket for hours, it’s just the perfect size. The trackpad is a great addition to the looks of the phone, making the lines of it that much slicker than any other Blackberry on the market. The back of the phone is extremely similar to the second generation Blackberry Storm, which is a pretty good looking phone itself, but everything in a smaller package. Another addition to the hardware is the “Media Buttons”, which immediately makes me think that this device will be directed to a younger crowd of Blackberry users. The phone is very light but at the same time it feels solid in your hand. Texting is as easy as it gets (as long as you are used to the Pearl Suretype Keyboard or even the Storm’s reduced keyboard, and the new/higher resolution screen is just gorgeous (not as good as the one on the Storm/Tour/Bold, but definitely a nice upgrade from the “already old” Pearl. Another nice addition to this second generation Pearl is the 3.2 MP Camera with flash.
BlackBerry_Pearl_9100_media_keys
The software I’m running on the phone is at a very early stage (v5.0.0.350), but is running very smoothly already. The only problems I have with it is the camera app, which doesn’t work yet, but the video camera is running perfectly. Because the OS Platform is 6.0 I can’t download any apps yet, but the closer we get to its release the more compatible the apps will be. The phone works great on 3G, even though its running on “AT&T’s Full of Apps Network”, so that is a great sign.

BlackBerry_Pearl_9100_video
My guess for its release would be around April, 2010. That is just a guess and as soon as I hear something more solid I will let you know immediately. Because of the 3G bands in the phone I can tell for a fact that this phone will be out for AT&T and Rogers, but sadly I haven’t heard of a CDMA version yet or even a GSM version for T-Mobile here in the US.

Overall I love the phone, and to all of you that love their Pearls you are going to absolutely fall in love with this one.

Photo source: smartphonecool